Friday, September 19, 2008

They Never Learn


Okay, what is it about grown men who do things like this? This is Jeff at the Back to School Bash acting like he is still young enough for this not to hurt. After the slip and slide he entered the cannon ball and belly flop contests and is probably quite proud that he won the cannon ball one. I got there late, so he had already hurt himself on the slip and slide (we think he cracked a rib) so my question to him was, "Then why did you do the cannon ball and belly flop contests AFTER that?" His response: "The kids wanted me to." So he basically caved in to 18 year old peer pressure. There is something about him that will not admit that he is now 56, and possibly too old to be doing these kinds of things! All I know is that I know my limitations! I would not have done any of those things when I was 18, let alone now. Of course the fact that the Quarnbergs are not good swimmers may have had something to do with that, but still. Maybe that is why he didn't bat an eye when he turned fifty..........I cried for months prior to my 50th birthday, but not him. Now I know it is because he still thinks he's 20!
It does kind of look fun, but yet not.

Jeff and fellow coach Shane Hickman (also a former student, AND 2 decades younger than him. But just for the record, Shane got hurt too!)

The belly Flop. Ouch!

The thing is, he did have a great time, and the kids love him, but he is still paying the price with the aches and pains. As we were hobbling off to head home, and all the kids were high fiving him, I quietly told him to totally act like he wasn't in mortal pain until we got to the car!

6 comments:

holli jo said...

Oh my goodness! That is hilarious. Too bad he got hurt, though. :(

Lexi said...

how fun minus getting hurt. how come dad never did that kind of stuff when i was in high school? that picture of dad and shane is funny.

hillari said...

That looks pretty silly! And really, who can resist high school peer pressure?? Good job pretending not to be hurt in front of the kids though!

Super Coopers said...

Deep down I wish I was that brave. I know I wouldn't be able to walk or even move for about a week! For pete's sake I'm not even 50 yet and I shudder to think how that felt. Way to go Bishop!!Way to represent the ol'folks.

cassidy said...

This was a funny post! If Dad hasn't learned by now that he shouldn't be doing stuff like this, I don't think he ever will! I can't believe he kept on a goin, even after he got hurt on the slip and slide!

Fritzsche's said...

That is so funny. I had to laugh. I love it. I sometimes do things now when I'm 30 and wonder what was I thinking??? I hope that I can always do fun things without getting hurt because I'm always afraid of getting hurt and so therefore sometimes pass on doing crazy fun things. Anyway I thought it was really funny.