Sunday, May 8, 2011

President's Day Weekend

My sister and her husband came down for a visit President's Day weekend. We haven't gotten together for quite awhile, so it was a fun weekend. One of the things we did was take them to see the new bridge at Hoover Dam. It is an awesome sight. The pictures really don't do it justice.

You don't get the feel of how high the bridge is from pictures, but this will have to do. The wind was blowing pretty bad, so our hair was doing its own thing.


That white stripe behind us is the water mark of how far the lake has gone down in recent years. It may not look like that much, but in reality it is over 100 feet. It makes me sad.



This is a view of the dam from up on the bridge! We were able to walk across it, and this might give you more of an idea of just how high and majestic it is. We only walked half way across. That thing is LONG.

This seal marks the apex of the arch, or the half way point.

Since the bridge spans both Nevada and Arizona, it is named after a great person from Nevada and also one from Arizona. Our family really admires these two men, and since we have gone to Arizona and run in "Pat's Run" for the Pat Tillman Foundation, we have a special love for him.

We spent a fun day there and went out to dinner later. It was a nice weekend and I'm glad that Shell and Rand could come to visit us. I'm so grateful to have a sister. We often say we don't know what we would do without each other. We love our brothers, but sometimes you just need a sister!

7 comments:

hillari said...

Your hair actually looks really cute, so I don't know what you're talking about! What a fun weekend--that's so nice that you guys get to see each other every so often. My sissies are all too far away.

Lexi said...

hilli, im not too far away! the bridge is quite amazing, and im glad it is finally finished. i had to look up who the nevada guy was though. im glad you got to see your sister. and you do look super cute.

scipiosal said...

Thanks for the documentation of one of the best weekends we've had in a long time. We had such a great time: fun travel, good food, and the best company ever.

cassidy said...

The new bridge looks so amazing! What a fun outing with your sister. I agree with Hilli, my sissies all live to far away. But someday we will be able to have fun sister weekends like this.

hillari said...

True, Lexi did come visit me recently. But it is pretty far to drive for just a quick weekend visit!

Super Coopers said...

Wow I didn't know yo could walk across that bridge. How cool is that. What a fun thing thing to have a weekend with your sister. I am jealous.

holli jo said...

I wrote a comment here a while ago, and now it's gone. :( I said that I want to hang out with my sissies (and mom) more often! I'm glad you had fun and can't wait to see the Memorial Bridge. Looks cool.