Sunday, October 31, 2010

Maui

After our trip to Phoenix we got on a plane and headed to Maui to meet Cass, James and Truman at a friend's condo. They flew over there from Oahu. We had so much fun. The condo was in a great location near restaurants and shopping, and best of all, right on the beach. Cass and James had brought their book with all the best places to see, and we spent very little money and saw some really awesome things. It was a trip to remember, for sure. I have tons of pictures, so I will try to condense it down a little.
First of all, in all my excitement I forgot to use the bathroom at the airport, and anyone who knows me knows I would have to be totally desperate to use a porta potty. But desperate times call for desperate measures, so here I am at the dreaded porta potties.

Our first stop was at the Iao Needle and gardens, a very short but beautiful hike.
Truman warmed up to us a little quicker this trip. And of course he loved Bampa!
On our way to dinner, walking along the beach we saw this gorgeous sunset, and for once Dad can't claim to have taken a wondrful picture. I did this one! We ate at Leilani's, where we were introduced to Hula Pie. After that we became addicted to it, and wanted it all the time. We're talking amazingly delicious. We held ourselves back and only had it a couple more times though.
The view from our balcony:
Swimming at one of the great pools at the condo.
We hiked to some semi-secret tide pools that were really cool and saw sea cucumbers, a gobi fish, crabs and sea urchins. It was great fun.
This was taken on the road to Hana where we saw lots of beautiful waterfalls and went on some little hikes that were fun.
This little boy was so cute and so good.
This is called Chings Pond where some local show-offs dive off a cement platform by the bridge for the entertainment of the tourists.
Jeff, Cass and James did a less scary jump off a ledge lower down. Still scary though. I wouldn't do it!
Everything was so lovely.
We went to this really cool black sand beach. It was weird, you couldn't actually call it sand, it was more like gravel, but I thought it was the prettiest beach we went to.
At the entrance to a lava tube at the beach.
The last thing we did that day was hike this bambo trail before heading back to the condo. It was a really cool hike, but there were lots of mesquitos. They didn't bother me too much, but Truman had to be wrapped in a towel.
Well, this post is getting too long, so I think I'll call it part I and do a sequel in a few days. Obviously I didn't do so good with only putting a few pictures. It's so hard when you have so many, and on a trip like this you take lots. Especially when there is a cute boy around!

5 comments:

cassidy said...

Maui was SO much fun! Just seeing these pictures makes me wish we were there again. And now I'm wanting Hula Pie. We had such a good time and we're really glad you invited us when you could have had a romantic trip by yourselves!

Christina Overton said...

Wow! It sounds like you had a really fabulous trip. I love all your pictures!

Your grandson is a total cutie! I bet you hate having him so far away.

I think I need to learn more about this Hula Pie. I've never heard of it before, but I'm sure it's delicious!

Super Coopers said...

I am so bummed we missed out on the hula pie.

I have been anxiously awaiting this pics and they didn't disappoint. Hawaii is just so beautiful. What a fun trip you had...adorable grandbaby too.

Can't wait for part 2...

Lexi said...

what a fun trip that you didn't take me on... i want to try hula pie, go to the black sand beach, and jump off a cliff. tru is just the cutest boy around. im glad you had fun on your trip.

hillari said...

I'm with Lexi--I want to go there too! That black sand beach looks really cool! What a lot of fun, cool places! Someday I'll have to go there. I love that little Tru!